Monday, August 4, 2008


Benjamin Mullany, who is critically ill after he was shot in his hotel on his Caribbean honeymoon, has arrived back in the UK from Antigua.

His air ambulance touched down at Cardiff earlier. The body of his wife Catherine, who was killed in the attack, is being flown back separately.

The couple, from Pontardawe, south Wales, were attacked on Sunday, the last day of their two-week honeymoon.

British officers are to fly to Antigua to help police with the investigation.

Scotland Yard confirmed it was sending a team following a request from Antigua's police commissioner.

A spokeswoman said the team would include one officer from South Wales Police, and would "support the local senior investigating officers".

Bungled robbery

Mr Mullany's flight landed at Cardiff International Airport at 3.40am, several hours later than expected due to "refuelling difficulties".

He was then transferred by ambulance, with a police escort, to Morriston Hospital in Swansea.

Alison Gallagher, senior nurse manager at the hospital, said: "The medical and nursing handover between the clinical team, which accompanied him here, and the intensive care team at Morriston has now taken place.

"Initial medical assessments are now being undertaken by the Morriston staff and it is too soon to give any further details."

Mr Mullany's parents, Marilyn and Cynlais, requested the transfer from the intensive care unit at Antigua's Holberton Hospital.

The body of doctor Catherine Mullany is being accompanied home by her parents.

The couple, both 31, were shot in a suspected bungled robbery at the Cocos Hotel.

On Friday, police commissioner Gary Nelson said the shootings may be linked to another murder which happened about two months ago in a house in the Antiguan capital, St John's.

It also appeared to be a robbery and the young male victim was shot in the back of his head, he said.

Mr Nelson confirmed that Mr Mullany, a trainee physiotherapist, was shot in the back of the head with a handgun.

The bullet remains lodged in his brain and Mr Mullany is in a coma, he added.

Mr Nelson, who was brought in from Canada earlier this year, is in charge of a 350-strong police force which operates with no computers and no crime database, and only one forensics officer.

Police have now questioned 31 people in the investigation, and four people remain in custody.

A reward of £67,000 has been offered for information leading to the conviction of the killer.

No comments: